Prof. Dr. Stefan Valentin
Mobile Netzwerke / mobile networks
Mi 13:30-14:30 / Wed. 1:30-2:30 pm
Stefan Valentin (ORCID) is Professor for Mobile Networks and Foundations of Computer Science at the Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences. He is interested in resource allocation and load balancing for mobile networks, based on methods from mathematical optimization and machine learning. Stefan’s algorithms are deployed in base stations around the world and more than 30 patent applications have been filed for them. He co-authored more than 90 peer-reviewed research papers, which have been cited about 1900 times and have received 4 awards. Stefan is a member of the IEEE and consulted BMBF and BMWi on 5G, Internet-of-Things (IoT) and Industry 4.0.
- Summer term 2019: New lecture Network Simulation for CS-Master students
- New journal article: The article "Enabling Reproducible Research in Sensor-Based Transportation Mode Recognition with the Sussex-Huawei Dataset" (with H. Gjoreski, M. Ciliberto, L. Wang, F. J. O. Morales, S. Mekki, and D. Roggen) has been published in IEEE Access (PDF)
- My research on YouTube: Is available here and here
Summer term 2019
- Bachelor: Networks (description)
- Lecture and slides will be in German
- Slides and worksheets are available here.
- Master: Network Simulation (description)
- Joint lecture with integrated lab ("VP") in English
- C++ basics are required
Winter term 2018/2019
Selected Publications and Patents
Journals and magazines
- P. Ferrand, M. Amara, S. Valentin, and M. Guillaud, “Trends and challenges in wireless channel modeling for evolving radio access,” IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 93–99, Jul. 2016.
- M. Kasparick, R. Cavalcante, S. Valentin, S. Stanczak, and M. Yukawa, “Kernel-based adaptive online reconstruction of coverage maps with side information,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. PP, no. 99, pp. 1–1, Jul. 2015.
- S. Valentin, H. S. Lichte, H. Karl, G. Vivier, S. Simoens, J. Vidal, and A. Agustin, “Cooperative wireless networking beyond store-and-forward: Perspectives in PHY and MAC design,” Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 49-68, Jan. 2009.
Peer-reviewed conference papers
- D. Tsilimantos, T. Karagkioules, and S. Valentin, “Classifying flows and buffer state for YouTube’s HTTP adaptive streaming service in mobile networks,” in Proc. ACM Multimedia Systems (MMSys), Jun. 2018.
- S. Mekki, T. Karagkioules, and S. Valentin, “HTTP adaptive streaming with indoors-outdoors detection in mobile networks,” in Proc. Ann. Joint Conf. of the IEEE Computer Societies Workshops (INFOCOM WS), May 2017.
- A. Köpke, M. Swigulski, K. Wessel, D. Willkomm, P.T. K. Haneveld, T. Parker, O. Visser, H. S. Lichte, and S. Valentin, “Simulating Wireless and Mobile Networks in OMNeT++: The MiXiM Vision,” in Proc. Int. Workshop on OMNeT++ collocated with SIMUTools, Mar. 2008.
- D. Tsilimantos, S. Valentin, T. Karagkioules, A. Nogales-Gómez, X. Shi, and Z. Chao, “System, apparatuses and method for traffic profiling of mobile video streaming,” PCT application PCT/EP2017/062 170 filed by Huawei Technologies, May 2017.
- S. Valentin, “Coordinated transmissions in communication networks,” Patent EP2480026 filed by Alcatel-Lucent, Jan. 2011.
- S. Valentin, H. Karl, and I. Aad, “Transceiver apparatus for cooperative wireless network,” Patents EP1962456 and JP4629116 filed by NTT DoCoMo Inc., Feb. 2007.
- Huawei Team Award for organizing the #HuaweiBigDataChallenge with CentraleSupélec, Huawei President of ERC, Dec. 2017
- Best paper award for "A Comparative Case Study of HTTP Adaptive Streaming Algorithms in Mobile Networks", ACM NOSSDAV, Jun. 2017
- Huawei Award for Key Technology Contributions in 2015, Huawei President of ERC, Apr. 2016
- Fred W. Ellersick Prize for the article “When Cellular Meets WiFi in Wireless Small Cell Networks”, IEEE Communications Society, Jun. 2015
- Huawei Team Award of Excellence, Huawei President of ERC, Mar. 2015
- Bell Labs Award of Excellence, Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs, Dec. 2013
- KlarText: The Klaus Tschira Award for Achievements in Public Understanding of Science for the article "Wer kooperiert, funkt besser", Klaus Tschira Foundation, Oct. 2011
- Bell Labs Award for Exceptional Achievements, Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs, Jan. 2011
- Best paper award for "Implementing MAC Protocols for Cooperative Relaying: A Compiler-Assisted Approach", ACM SIMUTools, Mar. 2008